What's the next step....?

Dan1971

So I use a full kit supplied on-line following my beginner course. I took part in the SFAA indoor champs at the weekend and didn't embarass myself, so what is the guidance to continue my progression?

I appreciate coaching will be high up and is important, but what about the kit side of things. Is there an order to consider - riser then limbs, limbs then riser, string, arrows...? Cheers...

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Depends really on what your kit is composed of right now. And are you prepared to consider second hand (second hand risers can be great value), do you have a decent coach/ experienced archer to look kit over for you before you splash the cash?

Dan1971

Left Hand - Club Shooter kit from Red Frog on line. Core Gonex riser, matching limbs. Arrows are Tyro - mega narrow I noticed and probably cost a few points compared to other shooters I was with !

I'd consider 2nd hand stuff but I kinda want to do the next step - riser if advised for example - in a shop where I can hold a few of them, get a feel before spending out. That will narrow my options should I go for 2nd hand kit. I'm not sure the coaches at my club would be well placed to advise on gear.

Dan1971

Pressure button, yes. Single long rod. Weight holding...not sure what you mean but limbs are 28lbs at 70" ??? ...

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Weight on your fingers, draw weight. To be accurate you'd need a bowscale but I'd guess 34lbs or so. On your riser I would be wary about adding very much heavier limbs, it won't be rated for it.

If money is no object, I would pop up to Border Archery, (appointment required) try their kit, blow your mind, have a lot of fun, spend a lot of money and then pick up the extras like sight, stabs etc online.
Next best, and still very expensive is go to your nearest shop and try a few risers and limbs, pick up everything you need and probably a lot you don't because staff are very good at that, and it'll probably see you through the next year or so.

My recommendation is to pick up a last year's model high end second hand riser. You'll get great value for money and it just won't be the latest thing that will be forgotten by middle of this year anyway. *then* head to you shop and look at a mid-range set of carbon limbs a few pounds heavier than you are currently using. Shoot them a year. By then you may need to change, but at least you'll have a better idea of you as an archer, and what you want and need. Get the shop to set the limbs up on the riser *and watch how they do it* because you are joining a sport for fiddlers and you'll need to know. Ask them to help you select arrows. Better limbs/more pounds equals new arrows too.

Be very clear about what you are going to the shop to buy, and what your budget is. Do some online research first. Call ahead to make sure they have what you are looking for in stock. Then, of course, after all that, actually buy from them, rather than do what a lot of folk do, which is put the guys through all those hoops on a Saturday then go home and order it online for a few quid cheaper.

Dan1971

Top advice ... thanks

Border archery - not far away but as much as I am prepared to spend some money as I'm keen to progress, they are too much for me and I'm not a timewaster.

Nearest shop is Red Frog - 2 hr drive.

As I have "all" the kit I think I need to go shooting, I'll look I think at the high end 2nd hand option 1st I suppose then - and I'm assuming from your guidance that starting with a riser is the base to lay the foundation and then build up from there...

munchkin

Supporter
Supporter
A good riser can last a lifetime. I’m still shooting a Hoyt Nexus from 2006/7, but I’m just a club shooter these days.

StevoNilo

If you are reaching your ideal draw weight then invest in the best arrows you can. In my opinion the most important part of your kit. Arrows to you are like a scapel to a surgeon. An arrow that is tuned and matches your bow is golden. When you get them, look after them. Then seek out the best string builder you can. Ask around. Don't buy those ready made strings in tubes. Find a good string maker that knows their onions, and stay with them, forever. Bad strings will confuse and frustrate you, trust me. If you're buying 2nd hand limbs , be sure they're not warped. Buy from someone you trust. Do not over bow yourself either. There's plenty still for you to learn in archery. If you're struggling with the bow weight then these finer form progressions will always be out of your reach.

Last edited:

rfd

Supporter
Supporter
There's not much better than face-to-face coaching, if that's possible. It will save time, money, and shooting/learning frustrations.

Stretch

At the stage you’re at buy secondhand. Everything. There is always an idiot (like me) with a hankering for the latest greatest shiny thing. Then you can benefit from their last recently greatest shiny thing. Use your eyes, if it is tatty then avoid. For risers, If it is more than 15 years old then avoid. Limbs tend to look tired when they are tired. Stabilsers and sights (especially Shibuya and Axcel) live forever (AGF Technic sights which last 11 months, other brands vary).

In the UK going to a shop is not always that helpful, you end up with what they choose to stock and very rarely have what you want to try. Bows are like cars, it loses 33% of value as the shop door closes behind you, hence a healthy secondhand market.

Stretch

Dan1971

Cheers... some valuable advice.

So here's current situation...

I went on sellmybow - other websites are out there - and started chatting to a guy selling a MyBow Wave XR and all the rest of his kit for a fixed £400. It's a take it or leave it scenario, never met the guy and he's about 100 miles away. Merlin sell the riser new for £270.

I don't need all the rest of the kit though, so I contacted Merlin and asked what LH risers they had in stock. "Not many", they said. "But if you see a riser on the site that you would like to try, tell us, we'll order it to the store and you can try it". So - I'm booked in for Thursday to try 4 different risers from £270 to just over £500. Now - I'm not a waster so if there's a riser that I really like the feel of that they have prepared for me and ordered into the store, I'll buy it, but therein lies the difference. Being able to try the feel of shooting a bow, rather than parting my hard earned on what I hope will be decent... Different I guess if someone at your club is selling and you know them and can try it, but in this scenario, I'm gonna go new I think. Certainly for the riser at least.

StevoNilo

Risers certainly have to be shot out. This is where actual brick and mortar shops win. Risers are all about feel, grip shape, mass weight and shot feedback. I work in a bow shop and what annoys us is people who get their Risers on click and buy, end up with something not quite right. The online suppliers are renowned for their naff customer service. Most charge for a restocking fee if you send it back, plus you have to pay postage. Then they come in to us to set it up for them. Pants. That cheeses us off big style.
Sights are either cheap and cheerful and rattle like hell, or they're well expensive and last a lifetime. There's not much in the middle, however they're are some beginning to appear on the market. The screws still shake loose but they're better than the cheap stuff. Not as good as Shibuya though. If you do see a rare 2nd hand Shibuya then buy it instantly. Stabis also have to be tried too ideally. Different brands have different shot resonances. Some work with weak bows, some only work on 40lb plus bows. And they have to be balanced out which is a very personal preference, this will take time as you need to feel this out as you discover your own shot style. Remember this is your hobby. Try stuff out if it means something to you. Don't save money on the wrong end.

Last edited: