Bandsaw ouch!

bearded bowyer

I finally did it.....
A nanoseconds distraction using the bandsaw to cut out the handle of a flatbow and I've managed to cut a slice about 1.5 cm down the side of my index finger.
I have no Idea at all how I managed it as my index finger shouldn't have been anywhere near the blade!
I've had far worse injuries from draw knife misuse etc, but never before on a big nasty cutting machine.
I count myself very very luck, all fingers still whole.

Learn from my mistakes.......and practice applying steri-stips one handed before you have an accident.

Be careful out there.
Matt

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
When you do this sort of thing there's always about a second between the realisation about what you've done and the pain kicking in.

Just enough time for you to think about how big a **** you've been.

Glad it wasn't worse for you.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Or alternatively a second between the realisation about what you've done and the blood welling up.

"I've gotten away with it - I've gotten away with it - I've gotten away with it - oh damn!"

D

Deleted member 7654

Ouch.
Whew, sounds like a close shave as it could have been so much worse.
A timely warning to us all.
Hope it heals up ok.
All the best
Del

bearded bowyer

Should be fine Del.
dvd8n when I cut myself my first thought is usually 'don't bleed on the wood...it will take ages to sand out!'
but you are right, quick inspection seems ok until the flap lifts and blood wells......
Thank god it wasn't the table saw..........
Mind you the worst injury last year was falling off a folding chair, which folded when I stood on it........hum...does that mean I'm eligible for a Darwin award ;-)

bearded bowyer

Hahaha
I have a history of falling off or down things....so now we live in a bungalow...I still managed to fall down the back stairs to the garden. Couldn't walk for a few days.
Maybe its time for bubble wrap and mittens :)

D

Deleted member 7654

Woo Matt, have you tried that cider ? I just had a couple of glasses with a nice chilli con carne... it was light crisp refreshing, didn't taste any more potent than a tonic water...
But woo my head is spinning!
Nice
Del

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Ouch!! hope you heal up quickly!! Though this might have been better in the Golden Fonz award forum... nearly cutting your finger off and admitting to it... got on Dave, I think this deserves an award!!

bearded bowyer

Hi Del
Cider was lovely.
Might be why my finger now has a missing section ;-)
I never new a cat could make good cider....might try to get my 2 dogs to make me some beer!

bolerus

I was using a grinder with a wood flappy paddle on to do some sanding a few weeks ago, and just clipped one of my fingers. It was teh lightest quickest touch you can imagine, but the blood squirted......and ouch did it hurt.

get this..it was the INSIDE of my index finger....how did that happen!!!!!

bearded bowyer

Weird how we injure ourselves, I'm making a load of hickory furniture at the moment and I'm getting cuts just from the right-angle edges of the wood......
I go to wash my hands and notice a whole new set of slices almost every time.
Managed to hit my hand with the hammer for the first time today chiselling out a mortise... said a few words even I haven't heard before ;-)