Bows on stands

Fuzzy

This might be an odd question, but I've noticed that I'm one of the few people in my club who put their bow in the bowstand with the longrod pointing down. Most others put it in with the limbs parallel to the ground. I find that in packed indoor halls it lets me grab my bow more easily and reduces the chance of someone stepping on the limbtips.:jaw-dropp

So to those people who put their bows in with the longrod sticking up: why?

grimsby archer

This might be an odd question, but I've noticed that I'm one of the few people in my club who put their bow in the bowstand with the longrod pointing down. Most others put it in with the limbs parallel to the ground. I find that in packed indoor halls it lets me grab my bow more easily and reduces the chance of someone stepping on the limbtips.:jaw-dropp

Surely its how the bowstands are made?
Most bowstands only allow the bow to be stored in this way.

As one who shoots barebow now, I havent found a bowstand that allows me to store my bow in any other way. The ones that have the bow vertical need the longrod stuck out the front to rest the bow on (I assume that is the type you have - if not, please elaborate further)

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
I suppose it largely depends on what type of bowstand they bought?

Some are short and will only allow you to put your bow in "upside down".

grimsby archer

No & no they don't ...
I must be misunderstanding something here. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

If I look at say a shop's on line shop under "bowstands":

I see 6 bowstands (if we exclude the compound scissor at the top)
The first 3 (Cartel RX-105 Bow Stand, Sebastien Flute Bowstand and Petron pod stand) I can't imagine how you could put a bow in them in any way other than with the grip in the Y at the top thus with the longrod (if you have one) pointing straight up and the string parallel to the floor:boggled:

Sure, the other 3 have fittings that allow the bow to be parked more vertically with the long rod pointing out the front and downwards, but how on earth can you use the first three in any other way

Last edited by a moderator:

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
I must be misunderstanding something here. Perhaps you could enlighten me?
You've got to assume he was only talking about the "tall" bowstands not the "short" ones and pondering why someone would want to park their bow in one upside down when that's what the "short" ones are designed for?

Sure, the other 3 have fittings that allow the bow to be parked more vertically with the long rod pointing out the front and downwards, but how on earth can you use the first three in any other way
I don't think that's what he was saying, more this kind of scenario ...

Rather than how it should be.

grimsby archer

You've got to assume he was only talking about the "tall" bowstands not the "short" ones and pondering why someone would want to park their bow in one upside down when that's what the "short" ones are designed for?

Rather than how it should be.
Thanks Worthipa. That wasnt clear in the original post.
So if you want to store your bow "horizontally" you should buy a short bowstand?:mischievo

I dont really see what the problem is with storing the bow with longrod skywards. I used to just grab the longrod and pick the bow up with that.
Perhaps its a throw back to the days when most of us had "v-bars" to stand the bow up with when not shooting.
Now I shoot barebow (for medical reasons) and bending to pickup/putdown my bow on a bowstand is very painful. The vertical storage bowstands need a longrod to work. I wish someone would invent a bowstand that will hold a barebow vertically (yes, I saw the other thread with someone working on the idea)

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
So if you want to store your bow "horizontally" you should buy a short bowstand?
I think it makes sense, it's closer to the ground and being shorter is more stable. (CoG's lower).

I dont really see what the problem is with storing the bow with longrod skywards.
I don't think there is, it's really a question of whether it's sensible or not to do it with a tall bowstand and destabilise it further by putting the bow in "upside down". (CoG's higher).

Most bowstands that allow upright storage (longrod pointing down), don't take into account the ever increasing number of widgets the general archery populace lengthen their longrods with.
As a consequence most can't take more than 32" total length before the rod starts to hit the floor.

Fuzzy

There's the saving space in halls factor too.

Say stabs are 35" total with extender, add 12" for bow and BH, say 47" total, add a few inches due to tilt, still takes up less room than a horizontal bow at 68ish".

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Grimsby Archer said:
I wish someone would invent a bowstand that will hold a barebow vertically
Hi GA,
I read your post and wondered what could be done. My biggest problem with holding the barebow vertically is worrying about it falling over.Stand and bow that is.What's your thinking on that?

wingate_52

Fuzzy, can you post a picture of your bow in it's bowstand. I am working on an indoor bowstand where the longrod points forward and down.