Chest Clearance

acehero

I occasionally get a bit of a slap on the chest from the string. I've always had a pretty deep chest but the fact that its not every single time suggests that it may be form/allignment related - or maybe I'm better alligned when it does contact, who knows? I'm trying out an open stance as I read that it may help and I think it is a bit, and using the ab muscles to pull the chest in and down out of the way. Are there any other tips and tricks that may help?

Actually just as I've been typing this i think ive been forgetting to set my bow arm right which may sort this out as its only really been happening today. Anyway, can anyone recommend a really good chest guard?

King Custard

Since you suggest the setting of the bowarm - and I can get exactly the same with a recurve first thing in the morning...I'd guess you've answered it yourself.
I've found similar body/string clearance problems with stooping or tipping my CofG too far forward in the stance set-up rather than standing up tall and proud, tucking in the chest and then shifting my weight to about 60% between the heels and toes.

ie:weight feeling halfway between heels and toes- plus a little more towards the toes. But that is just me - and considering I've shot two arrows from a compound-and it HURT! - I'm not qualified to really say.

tel

Fonz Awardee
Stop chasing guards - learn to shoot without one. I'm a tubby git with a chest clearance problem - but not if I get it right. Much rather an open stance than a straight jacket.

tel

Fonz Awardee
..oh, by the way - nipples are surplus to requirements on guys!

LobbyMuncher

Nice, that polka dot one is really me! Now how do I figure out my size?
How many BSH (British standard handfuls)? :O)

Reckon Tel has it about right there, Acehero, but I'm a noob and longbow too so my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt. My GF is very much a Bravissimo girl but never catches herself, it was her biggest fear when we started yet it's not ever been a problem, and it's all down to stance and posture (with a longbow). If you can persuade someone to capture a few seconds of yourself using a digital camera, you will soon figure it out.
Also, bear in mind: if you need one of these chest protectors, each time you benefit from it, your shot is lost. If you use a brace, each time you benefit from it, your shot is lost. Archers' kiss is a painful reminder to get it right.

Good luck

ChrisM

King Custard

sorry Ace- I mistook your set-up for a compound bow. the few seconds of video may show you leaning backwards into your draw, and a great idea.
Put on a black tshirt- talc your string - and study your draw and posture at full draw as you face a mirror....then do the same at a different angle...glancing into the mirror and looking for tell-tale marks on your shirt should give you plenty of feedback if this is the problem.

GreenSteve

If your after a Chest Guard OB does a very nice Chest Guard with a Vinyl panel that gives a very smooth surface for the string.

cornish george

if you need one of these chest protectors, each time you benefit from it, your shot is lost. If you use a brace, each time you benefit from it, your shot is lost. Archers' kiss is a painful reminder to get it right.ChrisM
This is where Lobby and Tel have it right, if your form is correct you will not have body contact with the string, assuming your not wearing a loose hawian shirt?

Yorker

It oculd be you are not fully collapsing the rear arm/shoulder meaning that the string is more in front of the ribcage than to the side.

If you see where your shoulder and chest join in that sort of area you in fact have an immense amout of clearance, with or without frontage as the case my be.

A chest guard can't do anything about your ripcage but it can keep your shirt out of the way. If it is about your shirt, chest guard.
If it is about your form, deal with that, and possibly a chestguard!

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
If I don't wear a chest guard I get the occasional nipple "tweak". Keeps me right ;)

King Custard

have a look at the youtube "archery Videos" for the rather big Korean shooting an X10 into an alloy placed in the X.
I remember thnking - if He can get clearance....'

King Custard

If I don't wear a chest guard I get the occasional nipple "tweak". Keeps me right ;)
I find those little rubber coated clothes pegs from Sainsbury's keep a good firm grip without pinching or marking too heavily. They come in pink and blue and need nothing more than the application of tassles....maybe a little silver foil and a pinecone at Christmas, at Easter though I always hang a Cadbury's cream egg from mine ( for later)...birthdays?...well...thats more personal - (PM me)