Field Noobs...

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Okay, some of us have signed up for our first serious field shoot... Does anyone have any obvious beginner mistakes that we can avoid?
We're all shooting Traditional, so shooting from the blue peg, but is there any etiquette conventions we should look out for (apart from missing the boss entirely?)

Cheers,

Uller.

English Bowman

Fist, well done, hopefully it'll be the first of many. The main thing that I'd say is to say to your target companions that it's your first shoot and they will help you out. Other tips, learn the distances that the targets can be. For blue pegs, unmarked round the 20cm (Bunny) will be between 5 and 10 meters away. You shoot one arrow into each of the 3 faces of your column in any order, so if you shoot the middle one first then if you misjudged the distance you may hit a different face and score something. You can then adjust your aim for the other two faces. The 40cm faces are all between 10 and 20 meters, with the 60 cms between 15 and 30 meters, and finally the 80cm is between 30 and 45 meters. On the marked round they can go 5 meters longer, so try to get aiming marks between 5 and 50 meters.
If it's a two day shoot, you tend to be in a group of 4, and go past a tea tent twice a day, so everybody tends to buy 1 round of teas, but this isn't obligatory. Wear a decent set of walking boots, and it's worth carrying everything you think that you might need with you, including any spares you might need, snacks and drinks etc. If it's wet make sure that your waterproofs won't get in the way of the string (as I found out once) Above all have fun.
Which shoot is it, as I might well be there? If I am then come up and say hello and you can ask any questions that occur to you on the day.

Daniel

?j?sz

I?m sure that you are going to have a great day out and lots of fun, do let us know how you got on.
Do you have this doc from FITA,
http://www.archery.org/UserFiles/Do...lications/02_Downloads/Field_Guidelines-e.pdf
I found it useful when I started out last year.
I tend to practice at shorter distances (out to 25m) and got caught out on the longer distances when I did my first comp, so I would say if you?ve been shooting indoors all winter try and find some time to sort out the sight marks for the longer distances especially.
Peter

If its wet consider taking a golfing umbrella if you have one!

Last edited:

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
I?m sure that you are going to have a great day out and lots of fun, do let us know how you got on.
Do you have this doc from FITA,
http://www.archery.org/UserFiles/Do...lications/02_Downloads/Field_Guidelines-e.pdf
I found it useful when I started out last year.
I tend to practice at shorter distances (out to 25m) and got caught out on the longer distances when I did my first comp, so I would say if you?ve been shooting indoors all winter try and find some time to sort out the sight marks for the longer distances especially.
Peter
If its wet consider taking a golfing umbrella if you have one!
I printed a off a stack of the things for Uller and co but if more needed give me a shout dude.

steve Morley

The biggest thing for Archers fist time out at a competition is they think everybody is watching them and will be judged if they miss, they tend to be very self conscious and end up trying too hard not to miss, which of course makes them miss.

The truth is (and good to keep this in mind) even the best shots sometimes miss and most Archers are so focused on their own performance they won?t worry about what others are doing.

Everybody will be glad to see a new Archer and will do everything possible to encourage and make you feel comfortable, so enjoy day.

Uller

The American
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll need to try to remember those face size/ distance hints.
I've been round a marked and unmarked course a couple of times (thanks Brian!), but this would be the first 'proper' competition I've entered for. Coming from a target shooting background, was wondering more about the sort of ABCD order. Do we shoot A&B, then C&D, then switch for the next target, or do you let everyone who's shooting from the red peg go first, then blue, then white?

Cheers

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll need to try to remember those face size/ distance hints.
I've been round a marked and unmarked course a couple of times (thanks Brian!), but this would be the first 'proper' competition I've entered for. Coming from a target shooting background, was wondering more about the sort of ABCD order. Do we shoot A&B, then C&D, then switch for the next target, or do you let everyone who's shooting from the red peg go first, then blue, then white?

Cheers
Probably best to focus on the shooting order....the distances make no difference to us, with out "unique" aiming system!!!

It will seem strange. You get so used to be the "experienced" one on a target, but here we will be the wee timid noobies!!!

Saying thatI'm sure there will be plenty more in the same boat!!!

English Bowman

Do we shoot A&B, then C&D, then switch for the next target
Cheers
Got it in one.
Another thing to note is that on 20 cm Bunnys the first two archers shoot column 1 & 3. Then the second two shoot column 2 & 4. On 40 cms the first two up shoot the top faces, and the second detail shoot the bottom faces. Most courses are organised so you shoot the same number of top and bottom faces if you rotate as you should. If the red pegs shot first, they'd always have the top faces, and they're the easier ones for those of us without sights!

duffy

Okay, some of us have signed up for our first serious field shoot... Does anyone have any obvious beginner mistakes that we can avoid?
We're all shooting Traditional, so shooting from the blue peg, but is there any etiquette conventions we should look out for (apart from missing the boss entirely?)

Cheers,

Uller.
you will need to label your arrows with your name and club, as well as ring the arrows no1 no2 no3, i hope you enjoy it

English Bowman

you will need to label your arrows with your name and club, as well as ring the arrows no1 no2 no3, i hope you enjoy it
Not in GNAS, Initials are enough. A name & club is a good idea, but not required by rules, as is ringing the arrows. All 3 arrows are shot from the same peg in most GNAS rounds, and you score all 3 so the number doesn't matter. I guess since the blue peg and Traditional are mentioned that Uller is a GNAS shooter.

duffy

Not in GNAS, Initials are enough. A name & club is a good idea, but not required by rules, as is ringing the arrows. All 3 arrows are shot from the same peg in most GNAS rounds, and you score all 3 so the number doesn't matter. I guess since the blue peg and Traditional are mentioned that Uller is a GNAS shooter

i didnt read all of the 1st post, i saw arrows, and field and traditional. so i assumed nfas, thanks for letting me know

English Bowman

What does "ringing" the arrows mean?
Instead of putting a number on the arrow you put rings of a contrasting colour around the arrow, 1 ring for number 1, 2 for 2, you get the idea. That way you can easily tell which arrow is which in the target. In NFAS animal round shooting the score you get depends on which arrow hits the target. You only score one arrow, so if you hit the kill with the first arrow it's 20 points, a first arrow wound is 16. If you are sure that you've hit you don't shoot a second arrow. If you're not sure you shoot the second, which would score 14 for a kill or 10 for a wound. If there are 2 (or even 3) arrows in the target you score the first arrow that hit, and having the rings avoids confusion.
(I think that's right, it's a long time since I shot NFAS, so any NFAS archers feel free to correct me.)

Dweezil

on a similar, but not the same topic, i've just bought a second hand longbow, where can i shoot field archery near Swindon area. i'm not ready to do field comps yet but in the future.....?
thank you