finger glove advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

djthompson

I'd appreciate your thoughts on shooting gloves.

Currently use a 3 finger neet double seam finger glove - and use 1 finger over and two under the nock. I take a deep hook (this seems to give me better accuracy and smoothness to the release). The string actually lines up past my first finger joint from the tips (so pretty much in the middle of my fingers).

The trouble with this, is it get my fingers quite soar during the shoot - as the string really digs in. The leather is reasonably stiff - but I think I need more protection. (I'm shooting 60lbs)

I'd be grateful for recommendations on a heavy/thick glove - that will provide added protection.

Many thanks, Dave

HOTHOUSEDOG

I had a similar problem with the same glove.I was getting a blister on the middle finger if i shoot for long periods. I found a slightly deeper hook helped. Seems to be ok now.

Yorker

My advise, use a tab and watch your scores increase!
Various tabs can be bulked out without much of a limit, you can just slam on as many facings as you need.

KG archery will add and extra sheaf of heavy leather onto the back of a Black Widow for for for not much more which brings it up to about 5mm of solid leather, very good protection.

Or, use a glove... and a tab.

joelondon

Fonz Awardee
If your set on keeping with a glove, then I recommend the American Leathers Fullshot Glove, I found it very comfortable, and the tips work really well. You will need to buy from across the pond, but it is well worth the wait and cost.

Joe

djthompson

I am going to give a tab a try - but previous experiences weren't too great.

I'll look into that American tab - many thanks,

D

Devon_Archer

best advice to anyone shooting with a glove is

throw it away, burn it, or better still give it to someone you don't like who shoots in the same class to use :raspberry

OK a glove protects the ends of the fingers, but you can't feel your face or anchor through it well enough to be consistent, i know you will say that you can feel the glove ends of the fingers on your face but believe me when you shoot with a tab the location of your anchor will improve many fold

and your scores will increase

FlourPower

Heard some longbowmen at the Kestrels St George saying that a guy had been shooting through a chrono with a glove and gained almost 15fps from changing to a tab. I think 15fps is probably a spurious assesment but I can kinda see how that would work, i.e. bunching of the material as the string tries to drag it.

bkupris

Supporter
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Tried a Neet double stitch glove with my 45ish lb trad bows. Killed my fingers! :( Went to a Wilson Black Widow (3 layer) tab and love it, very comfy :)

Devon_Archer

dunno about longbow

but you can easily put 15 to 20 fps on an afb when changing from a glove to a tab, and that in % terms is massive jump in speed

also on a series of tests (we love trying stuff here) the tab gave more speed consistency than a glove on 20 releases with a 35 pound AFB

English Bowman

I'm with the people who say throw the glove away and get a decent tab. The black widow is good. I use one of these Calf Hair Tab
My advice is once you find a tab that you like buy a few and use them all equally. That way if you loose one in a copmpetition you don't have to break in another.

BorderBows

if you like a glove

You can glue in a strip of 2mm wide milk bottle plastic into the inside of the fingers. This would stiffen up the glove if needed...
Different thicknesses give you more or less protection if needed.

Vespa

I used a deerskin glove when I first started out and started losing sensation in my index and second fingers after only about 40 min. of shooting (too thin of material).

Later I learned about the tab and have graduated from the calfskin (slick but I don't get much feel on the string during anchor/aiming time) to a Cavalier Elite tab w/ cordovan (horse hide!) leather. Cordovan is that great combination of slickness but not too slick, feel and extreme durability that I have yet to find in another material so far.

I first shot with the shelf to help anchor but have since ditched it in favor of anchoring closer to the center of my face and more up front. I can get my third knuckle on my jaw better to locate my draw hand without a shelf.

There's no way I'll go back to a glove unless I start showing up at 'Rennaissance Faires' here!.

Just my two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.