Is there any point ???

towser

I have been shooting for about 2 years. I have a fairly decent kit, but I don't seem to be getting any better. I practice 3 to 4 times a week, my coach gives me all the help I need. But each time I shoot I seem to have "picked" up another bad habit.

Is there any point ???

phillc

keep going

Not knowing what level you are at I can't say to much but have a chat with your coach, and see what they think is the thing is that is holding you back the most and work through that first (perhaps you are putting yourself under too much pressure). It sounds like you have a helpful coach so keep at it.

niceguy

Sounds like you are on the plateau that most archers reach after a couple of years. It's the law of diminishing returns, at first a new archer will make big jumps forward but it tails off and eventually even small improvements require a large input. IMO if you don't just enjoy shooting arrows irrespective of the achievement level you will eventually reach a point where you feel there is no point in continuing as you aren't getting any better. Everone reaches their achievement threshold sooner or later. It happened to me a few years ago, my solution was try other types of shooting, compound and longbow. Without this change I would have abandonded the sport completely. There is also field and 3D to have a go at. All these help to keep the interest level up and when the compound and longbow wear off I'll go back to recurve again or maybe bare bow. Endless options to keep my archery alive. Hope this helps.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
It may be that you need a different coach to take you to the next level, or a different challenge, or just simply wait for that Eureka moment which helps kickstart your progress.

Unfortunately Archery, like any sport, is full of troughs as well as peaks and plateaus.

Do you keep a training diary? Do you review it regularly? Are you learning from your own mistakes? Do you have a documented shot process? Do you regularly monitor scores and is there a real plateau, or are you simply making very small improvements? What is the quality of your practice like? Do you always have a set of well defined practice objectives, or do you just shoot arrows?

Too many questions, but to answer the question, yes, there may indeed be a point, but it all depends on your own goals and ambitions.

Woodie

You may have a decent Kit but is it set up properly. Young Simon Needham tells me he often finds this even among the squads he helps. So much so that he has just filmed a DVD on recurve bow set up to go with his book.

Whitehart

You may have a decent Kit but is it set up properly. Young Simon Needham tells me he often finds this even among the squads he helps. So much so that he has just filmed a DVD on recurve bow set up to go with his book.

This is very true even back in the 80's it was highlighted as a reason many left the sport. Rapid progress from beginner, gone out bought all the kit, bit more progress then nothing.

The other question I have is are you trying too hard, shooting 3 or 4 times a week is not necessarily going to get you better scores all you might be doing is improving/maintaining your fitness levels.

How do you judge progress if it is just by scores and you regulary check and compare whilst shooting a round you may find yourself talking yourself down
such as "oh that was a bad end I can't get 1st class now" etc

Sometimes trying too hard will affect the smoothness of the shot as you are too busy checking this and that for that perfect form.

Finally and the most contencious "some" coaches are very good at telling you what is wrong but have little knowledge or actual experience of how to fix it.

I like the approach affter seeing you shoot - "lets try this" without telling you why - knowing that you have aforward loose only makes things worse.

Oh do you use a clicker and have you checked recently that it's in the right place?

SLOWHAND

Some very good replies. You dont say what type of bow you shoot, what level you are at (and where you want to be) or where in the country you live, you also dont say how old you are. Many people are shooting good kit that is badly set up, not right for them or not 'balanced' eg. the appropriate quality of arrows to go with the bow. The majority of archers dont have the know how to set up their gear properly (if my car broke down I wouldn't have a clue how to fix it) and many coaches haven't got the ability to go past a very basic set up.

This is where a good shop comes in really handy, you dont say where you live but Pete Jones at a shop Guisborough is great at bow set up and he'll explain everything he's doing to you so that you can do it yourself the next time. Lez and the boys at Aardvark are very good too. Dont believe half of what the so called experts at your club tell you, ask them what level they shoot or shot to and if it isn't MB or above then be careful.

We have young guy at our club who shoots three times a week, dead keen and a nice lad but he wont or cant take good advice and his form is really bad. He practices hard but all he's doing is practising how to miss. This is where a good coach is a God send. But dont hold your breath, here in Britain we have loads of nice, well meaning, hard working people who are great at doing beginners courses and teaching the basics but not anything more advanced. I know of qualified coaches who shoot longbow exclusively (haven't seen them shoot anything else for the past five years) who are 'coaching' recurve. Try as many clubs in your area as you can. As a GNAS member most clubs will let you shoot as a guest. Even where I live, there are four or five clubs within thirty miles. Some clubs are very much for 'social' archery, very few members will take things too seriously (targets are set out at at 50 yards'ish) and few of them will enter Tournaments regularly. I'm not nocking this type of club, Archery is for everyone and if they enjoy it then great. At other clubs you may find that things are different with a different emphasis, more competitive, higher standards (targets are set out at exactly the right distance, measure each time with a tape) and many of the members attend tournaments. You will probably find that this type of club will atract archers of a higher ability and this is the type of club you should look for.

Dont be afraid to ask questions, most archers are really nice people who will be only too pleased to help you. Go to all of the local tournaments, you will probably find that it's usually the same people who win every time, ask them what club they go to.

Right, thats the good news, there are lots of things you can do to improve if you make a bit of an effort.

Now for the bad news. Archery is no different from every other competitive endevour. There are people who have natural talent and an affinity for the sport. I made MB in my first season and was breaking European records within two or three years, all without any real coaching. But I did shoot five or six times a week (real practice, not just flinging arrows at the target) at the right type of club asking people with a proven record the right questions.