Off to a tournament

JohnoFon

I'm off in an hour or so to shoot in my first tournament for over 30 years. (The Welsh Whit Western)

And it's raining.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I'm off in an hour or so to shoot in my first tournament for over 30 years. (The Welsh Whit Western)

And it's raining.
The "Welsh Wet Western", you mean ;) ?

Good luck and enjoy, John. I am booked in for this comp but won't be able to go now :( Pity - 'tis always good fun....

JohnoFon

Well. I'm home now.

The Welsh Wet and Windy Whit Western transformed itself into the Welsh Wet and Windy Whit National because it was sort of windy, and wet. It nearly became the Welsh Wet and Windy Whit Warwck, which would have sounded better, but we heroically worked through the 4 dozen at the long distance (there was also a Short National, a Junior National and a Short Junior National) and moved the targets up.

By the time we'd had a ten minute break there was something bright starting to show behind the clouds ? someone said it was called 'the sun' ? and the rain had warmed up a bit so we stuck to it and finished the two dozen before hypothermia set in.

I was scoring, and I can't remember my final total. I think it was about half what I'd been expecting from practice, but it was my first round in Quite A Long Time and the conditions were difficult so I'm not too disappointed. At least it wasn't my first shoot ever, as it was for some of those present.

Did I enjoy myself? Well yes, in a strange sort of way. Sight marks were way out (and moved up and down during the shoot) and consistency was totally screwed so I was working on grouping rather than scoring. This is how I managed to score 22 with two arrows; I shot the target number (11) in two separate ends at 60 yards.

One final thought; I wonder how the Olympic results would have looked if it had tipped down on them.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Did I enjoy myself? Well yes, in a strange sort of way. Sight marks were way out (and moved up and down during the shoot) and consistency was totally screwed so I was working on grouping rather than scoring. This is how I managed to score 22 with two arrows; I shot the target number (11) in two separate ends at 60 yards.

One final thought; I wonder how the Olympic results would have looked if it had tipped down on them.
Respect! I can't deal with the hypothermia anymore, so glad I wasn't able to come anyway really.

Olympics - it did, didn't it? At least for some of the bits I watched. Unfortunately they were still banging them in the gold at 70m. I heard some of the US team practiced under hosepipes and sprinklers to get acclimatised....

Hope to see you at a warm dry and sunny shoot in North Wales sometime soon.. :D