+ Question About Upgrading To A Better Bow +

Zak

I currently shoot a 2010 PSE Stinger NI specifically for target archery, but in a few years I might consider upgrading.
What bow would be best to upgrade to next?
Is it based on preference?

Cheers. :D

Flying Whale

Absolutely about preferenec. As long as you enjoy shooting there is no such thing asa wrong bow. What you get may limit your scores, or whether you win tournaments but if it gives you maximum enjoyment... job done.

That being said, since you thinking of a few years, use that time to talk to others and see what they recommend (and why). Get some advice from good shooters, but be aware that sponsored guys have to support their sponsors. Do lots of reading. Even see if you can try a few. Some people will let you shoot theirs (but not much use unless the draw length and poundage is roughly right (and peep; sight height..).

In a few years time there will be new shiny models which you will covet. Then go to a good dealer that will let you try them.

Oh, and keep enjoying it... or did I say that already?

Zak

Thanks Flying Whale.
I got into this sport because of how much enjoyment and fun I was getting out of it.

Flying Whale

Watch out though. I started with one compound bow, and am now just considering buying a fifth. So far I have not been able to presuade myself to sell any of the others....

fanio

If you were to upgrade now, I think you'd struggle to do better than a PSE Supra, even for several 100 ?s more.

Marcus26

If you were to upgrade now, I think you'd struggle to do better than a PSE Supra, even for several 100 ?s more.
I'ld take a Conquest 4 or Contender over a Supra, and they are not that much more.
Really depends on the size of the person too.

fanio

I'ld take a Conquest 4 or Contender over a Supra, and they are not that much more.
Really depends on the size of the person too.
Why? I have both a Contender Elite and a Supra, and I have found the supra to aim quite a bit better, and be very accurate - so genuinely interested in how you think the Contender or C4 is better.

Mormegil

I'm kind of curious too about the supra versus the contender. Mostly because I have a supra and I'm wondering if I should indulge my new toy lust and if do, to what extent. Is the contender a worthwhile upgrade? Should I go the whole hog and get a pro comp elite? No illusion about this effecting my scores dramatically but I'm keen to hear a comparison.

Marcus26

Why? I have both a Contender Elite and a Supra, and I have found the supra to aim quite a bit better, and be very accurate - so genuinely interested in how you think the Contender or C4 is better.
Better made bows. The Supra is a nice bow for the money, but I would always take a bow with a draw length specific cam over the adjustable cam of the Supra. I also don't like it's draw, too much setoff, and while you can kind of adjust it, I prefer a cam designed for the required letoff.
Another big factor is that the Supra has beyond parallel limbs, which I don't like. Not much feedback from the bow. Give me the Con 4 limbs aver those anyday, you know exactly what you were doing on those shots.
I've shot a heap of bows like the Supra which 'aimed' but at the end of the day, it's not an aiming sport. ;) Give me a Spiral cam or a Mini Max cam for better scores. (actually I prefer the Apex 7 to the Con 4, and a Vantage Elite Plus to a Contender, but they are more expensive)

One of my mates has been shooting a Supra and liking it. He borrowed my Apex 7 and has been smashing PB's. Doesn't look like I'm getting it back in a hurry.

If you are currently shooting a PSE and like I would stay with PSE.
Why? Why not try other brands? How does he know a Hoyt or a Mathews isn't a better bow for him?

Should I go the whole hog and get a pro comp elite?
Hard to say till people have been rocking them for a while. They look good though. Will you do better? Impossible to say. If you are a good back tension user then I would say you will likely do better with Spirals, but everyone is different.
Only one sure fire way to find out ;)

Better made bows. The Supra is a nice bow for the money, but I would always take a bow with a draw length specific cam over the adjustable cam of the Supra. I also don't like it's draw, too much setoff, and while you can kind of adjust it, I prefer a cam designed for the required letoff.
Another big factor is that the Supra has beyond parallel limbs, which I don't like. Not much feedback from the bow. Give me the Con 4 limbs aver those anyday, you know exactly what you were doing on those shots.
I've shot a heap of bows like the Supra which 'aimed' but at the end of the day, it's not an aiming sport. ;) Give me a Spiral cam or a Mini Max cam for better scores. (actually I prefer the Apex 7 to the Con 4, and a Vantage Elite Plus to a Contender, but they are more expensive)

One of my mates has been shooting a Supra and liking it. He borrowed my Apex 7 and has been smashing PB's. Doesn't look like I'm getting it back in a hurry.

Why? Why not try other brands? How does he know a Hoyt or a Mathews isn't a better bow for him?

Hard to say till people have been rocking them for a while. They look good though. Will you do better? Impossible to say. If you are a good back tension user then I would say you will likely do better with Spirals, but everyone is different.
Only one sure fire way to find out ;)
But you cant discount the Supra! Since getting mine in June, its been doing the business, bagging a few medals and podiums.

The draw stops are crap and have been replaced with Bohmar stops which sorts out the let off and hardens the backwall.

I agree that other bows maybe good or better in some hands. Last year at target my old C3 shot some solid scores. But my Supra is probably the best all round bow I have shot. Aims well and fast enough for unmarked rounds and "easy" to shoot. Also only ?600 which included a custom build of camo limbs and black riser so great value.

What would a ?1100 Hoyt give you over the Supra? Nothing I suspect.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

M

Moose

A feeling of smugness because you have am ?1100 bow

But each none gold cost you more as you could have shot just as Bad with a cheaper bow

fanio

on the basis of that logic, Moose, would each gold cost more or cost less with the more expensive bow?

M

Moose

Each gold would also cost more

If you need to ask a question about why buy a more expensive bow over a cheaper one will you ever be happy if you do not shoot really high scores

If I wanted a bow I would buy it based on other things than cost, the cost is what the cost is. It is the bow that fits you that shoots well not what it costs

Each gold would also cost more

Of you need to ask a question about why buy a more expensive bow over a cheaper one will you ever be happy of you donor shoot really high scores

If I wanted a bow I would buy it based on other things than cost, the cost is what the cost is. It is the bow that fits you that shoots well not what it costs
Quite right. But we all work hard and pay taxes so its whats makes you happy :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Marcus26

Well the price of the bows I compared it to was similar so that's beside the point. Personally I don't factor in the price when choosing bows because it's frankly not a big part of the cost of living for me. It's not about grand standing over cost. If someone takes exception because I own a Hoyt they can go get stuffed. That's a terrible attitude and the problem is with them, not me.

But the bows I'm comparing at
Contender: 870
Conquest 4: 665
Supra: 620

Buck for Buck I think the Conquest 4 is the best bow on the market

I didn't discount the Supra, but it's got some holes in it that I personally would not be able to get past. Not saying it's a bad bow and no one should shoot them, but it's got features I personally dislike in bows I would choose. The cam in particular is a design I dislike both in feel and in it's adjustability.

But if you like it that's OK, it's not a BAD bow, it's a decent bow and will perform well. It's impossible to say whether you'll do better or worse with another bow.