Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
he was back up to 60lbs in the last World Cup stats I've seen for this year

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
he was back up to 60lbs in the last World Cup stats I've seen for this year
Thanks for posting the link... really interesting. I was particularly interested in Reo's holding weight. He says he's holding 25lb. I haven't shot hoyt for about 15 years. Back then I was holding 30lb on carbon plus with 50% let-off. I'm pretty sure his pro elite can't go below 65% let-off so he must be pulling 70lb. If anyone knows if you can get a hoyt down to 50% let-off I would love to know.
My SupraMax is down to about 65% let-off, about 20lb holding + 5lb against the`wall is about 25lb. But I would love to be back at 30lb holding.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
a larger than standard stop-peg would increase holding weight as you'd hit The Wall before going deep into The Valley, as would using thicker serving on the cables around the cams (I believe)

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Yeh... that would do it. Didn't know you can now change the draw stops on hoyts. Many thanks.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
it might not be an as-standard stop... add a bit of shrinkwrap to a normal stop to widen it a little, stick it in the 55% hole and you'll be starting to push towards 50%... actually, 55% is one of the settings on a Spiral cam and 55% letoff at 60lb is... 27lb!

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
it might not be an as-standard stop... add a bit of shrinkwrap to a normal stop to widen it a little, stick it in the 55% hole and you'll be starting to push towards 50%... actually, 55% is one of the settings on a Spiral cam and 55% letoff at 60lb is... 27lb!
Really, 55%... if I had known that I would have looked at the Hoyt a bit closer when I changed from Mathews. I use heat shrink on my pse stops to tweak the draw length. It works very well.

T101

Video was march so he could well be shooting 60lbs now. Also found it curious that he seems to like a lot of stabiliser weight with a higher let off. since lowering my poundage down by about 4lbs, and hence less holding weight, I've found I've needed more stabiliser weight not less. Coincidentally i'm running the about the same 31/32oz of rod weight just in a different configuration. 11oz on a 30" the rest on twins with 75% let off. Heavy works

fanio

Thanks for posting the link... really interesting. I was particularly interested in Reo's holding weight. He says he's holding 25lb. I haven't shot hoyt for about 15 years. Back then I was holding 30lb on carbon plus with 50% let-off. I'm pretty sure his pro elite can't go below 65% let-off so he must be pulling 70lb. If anyone knows if you can get a hoyt down to 50% let-off I would love to know.
My SupraMax is down to about 65% let-off, about 20lb holding + 5lb against the`wall is about 25lb. But I would love to be back at 30lb holding.
What have you done to get the Supra to 65%? Just the bigger stop (shrinkwrapped)?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
My PSE Pro 600 had adjustable draw length modules. They were also double sided so the let off could be 50% or 60%.( I think it was 60/50 but it may have been other values) I always found the higher let off gave worse results, the bow seemed too light to hold back... like loose guy ropes on a tent.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
What have you done to get the Supra to 65%? Just the bigger stop (shrinkwrapped)?
No. I set the draw stop at 29.5", my draw length. But I set the cam modules to the 30" draw position. This means I don't drop into the valley as I would if the cams were also set to the 29.5" position, as Bimble was saying earlier. However, the adjustment is crude on the down slope in to the valley so I use heat shrink wrap to tweak it, more for draw length than draw weight.
You have to be prepared to have your anchor ripped from your face if you drop the back tension. Not forgiving... but I like that.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Really, 55%... if I had known that I would have looked at the Hoyt a bit closer when I changed from Mathews.
There are three stop positions on the Spiral X cams for 65/60/55% let off.

Also found it curious that he seems to like a lot of stabiliser weight with a higher let off.
At the Hoyt seminar I went to at the European Archery Festival, Reo was held as an example of someone you might not want to copy... and just think of the savings in buying weights if you don't!! ;)

Mormegil

At the Hoyt seminar I went to at the European Archery Festival, Reo was held as an example of someone you might not want to copy... and just think of the savings in buying weights if you don't!! ;)
A consistent theme from my coach is to point at some of the highest scoring archers around and say "that's their style, it works for them, don't copy them, start with classically good form/setup and then work yourself out from there"

fanio

No. I set the draw stop at 29.5", my draw length. But I set the cam modules to the 30" draw position. This means I don't drop into the valley as I would if the cams were also set to the 29.5" position, as Bimble was saying earlier. However, the adjustment is crude on the down slope in to the valley so I use heat shrink wrap to tweak it, more for draw length than draw weight.
You have to be prepared to have your anchor ripped from your face if you drop the back tension. Not forgiving... but I like that.
Yes, that's the way I had set mine too - for me that gives a let off of 62%. I love how smooth the ME cams are when set that way. But as you say! you can't relax at full draw even a bit...

GoneBad

There must be something strange with my 2012 Dominator Pro. The book says 75%. 29.5" draw length, module position E, stop peg position E. Peak weight 58#, holding weight 21#. Which is 64% :scratchch

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
@Gonebad
Might be worth double checking the module positions. A few times I've set the little pins in the next position down. Actually spent four months and a couple of RS events with the modules in different holes. Didn't make much difference to my shooting though. Bow still tuned fine.

GoneBad

@Gonebad
Might be worth double checking the module positions. A few times I've set the little pins in the next position down. Actually spent four months and a couple of RS events with the modules in different holes. Didn't make much difference to my shooting though. Bow still tuned fine.
Thanks for the suggestion, but as Bimble pointed out this afternoon, I have the Arctec drawstops fitted :duh:

GoneBad

How are you finding them?
I have the triangular ones. Easy to fit and they haven't moved. I feel that there is a noticeable improvement in wall solidity mostly due to the bottom limb stop. Of course, having the let-off lowered to 65% makes the bow better for me to shoot. Having looked at the hexagonal ones on Bowsports they show a diagram for high, medium and low let-off positions so the triangles must also be made to alter let-off.

PSE

fanio

I am keen to have a go with the hexagonal ones. I like the shorter valley and lower let-off. It's a shame PSE doesn't make these in 65% (but then - as the US bowhunting market dwarfs the worldwide target market, and 75% let off definitely helps with hunting - maybe it doesn't make sense for them to do this.) I hope they make a variant of this for their 2015 bows.