Side rod/v bar performance on compounds?

T101

Most of us are, or should be, aware that a stiffer lighter long rod has its advantages, but as the side rods main function is to counter balance the weight of the long rod,

i ask is it as important for the side rod to have the same properties? Also how much does the v-bar joint come into play?

At the moment i have a single 10" easton ace with 15/16oz (and still adding) from a standard doinker adjustable v-bar unit. it has plastic teeth but joints seem fairly solid, however when i tap the end of the side rod there is relatively quite a lot of movement/wobble through the bar.

So, woulda a stiffer side rod and stronger v-bar unit stop this, or just one of them, and if so which? or is this movement simply insignificant to performance?
:beer:

M

Moose

I have a full fatty set up but the side mount is the doinker platinum and that is very solid it has the same teeth but does not move or wibble

posted by moose on the loose

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
ditto, I've also got a Doinker Platinum v-bar and it's rock solid. I've also been impressed with the myBo stuff. Both have had 18oz hanging on the end of a short rod and not shifted.

T101

I have a full fatty set up but the side mount is the doinker platinum and that is very solid it has the same teeth but does not move or wibble

do u have a weaker bar you could try?

@Bimble, what side rod are you using please?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
when I had the 18oz on I was using a Carbofast Quadro Plus short rod (at it's minimum length so 6-rod multi-rod), though I'm currently running ~11oz on a 10" Doinker Advancee

T101

when I had the 18oz on I was using a Carbofast Quadro Plus short rod (at it's minimum length so 6-rod multi-rod), though I'm currently running ~11oz on a 10" Doinker Advancee
ta, i was looking at the avancee actually as weight is close to the ace but its sposed to be stiffer, or the new b stinger prem plus but 5/16ths weight system, and heavier, like the b stinger v bar also as it has metal teeth.

i like getting new kit, but would still like to hear if anyone thinks/knows if neccessary?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
the Advancee rods are nice (I've got a longrod one on my field bow), though they have this weird integral doinker at the end so if you want the weights attached straight to the rod (as I like) without any damping you need to push everything further in so the rubber isn't protruding from the end of the rod, but even then bolt that the weights screw onto is held still by the rubbers which can sometimes mean the weights aren't as solid onto the rods as they could be if they were solid in the rod.

M

Moose

I have some 10" cartels that worked ok ok until the weight increased even when extended to 15" with a 5" extender

On both the long rod and the side rod I have a doinker suppression mount which works ok

T101

@ bimble, its ok, on the fatty its possible to attach weights directly. just replace the doinker completely with weights friction fitted inside the end housing then further secured with the round clip. would also work with avancee. clip.

jerryRTD

I have a 11 inch OK short rod, very stiff with a total of about 8 oz split 4 oz direct on the rod then a doinker and then the other 4 oz on the end of the doinker. I tend to think of the long rod as the aim stabaliser so that is the stiff one ( for me a fatty ) and the side rod as a the damper.