"Tailored" Shorts

Furface

Supporter
- granted the start of the consultation period will usually coincide with the publication of an edition of AUK,....
Actually, the consultation period is defined as the two months from the proposed change appearing in AUK. And, also playing Devil's A, the magazine is meant to go to all members, while not everyone has Internet access (now, whether it does or not...see several other threads)

Brycedale

Forgive me for playing Devil's Advocate, but what do you suggest we do if we've never seen a copy of AUK, then? I've been a member of GNAS for several years, and never received a copy, despite having made sure that my address and postcode are correct every time I've renewed.

And publishing proposed rules changes in a quarterly magazine (ie published every 3 months) is not really any good if constitutional consultation period is two months - granted the start of the consultation period will usually coincide with the publication of an edition of AUK, but it's theoretically possible to have a rule proposed, have it's prerequisite 'consultation period', and be passed without anyone knowing about it until the next edition of the magazine comes out. And conspiracy theories tend to result, leading to committees getting the reputation of being 'un-democratic' and not representing the wishes of the membership.

Perhaps greater use of the website to publish proposed rules changes (in a place where they're easy to find) might be in order... Or lengthen the constitutional consultation period to allow for at least two editions of the magazine to come out, be read carefully by the membership, and the issue can be properly debated, so that everyone's satisfied that the result is what the majority wants.
Are you a Direct member of GNAS? If so then you should receive your own copy of AUK from them. If you affiliate through a club then its up to the club secretary to fill in the appropirate form and send that when your subscription is due in October or if a new member, when they join.
Now, with regard to rule changes. Proposals or suggestions to these Rules should initially be forwarded in writing to the Director of Operations via the GNAS Office. 2. The DofO will then pass the proposal to the relevant sub Committee Chairman. 3. If a change is agreed in principal, a proposal will then be drafted by that Committee and put before the Ops Committee for cinsideration. If agreed, a proposal will be published in AUK and on the GNAS Website and comments invited from the membership. 4. Members comments must be received at GNAS office within two months from the week the AUK is published. 5. At the end of this consultation period athe proposal and any comments received will be reviewed by the relevant sub Committee. 6 The final proposal will be sconsidered by the Ops Committee. If agreement is obtained from this Committee, the new rule will be published in AUK and on the GNAS Website. 7. After approval by the Ops Committee the new rule will become effective on the following 1st March or 1st September whichever occurs first. 8. Notwithstanding the procedures given above, changes to the Rules with regards to urgent safety matters may be enacted at any time by the Director of Ops, in consultation with the relevant sub-Committee Chairman.
I am sorry if this is a bit long winded, but that is what the rule book says.
The changes from the old system of rule changes (ie 6 months before implementation) was that quite often a rule could take up to a year to come onto the books

Tobytoolbag

Fonz Awardee
Brycedale said:
Are you a Direct member of GNAS? If so then you should receive your own copy of AUK from them. If you affiliate through a club then its up to the club secretary to fill in the appropirate form and send that when your subscription is due in October or if a new member, when they join.
I affiliate through the club, and have been assured by our Secretary that all the appropriate forms are filled in and sent when we renew our club membership (late September) every year - but I've still never seen an AUK. :hissyfit:

Furface said:
And, also playing Devil's A, the magazine is meant to go to all members... (now, whether it does or not...see several other threads)
Let's hope that the GNAS database revamp improves matters... :raspberry

Brycedale

I affiliate through the club, and have been assured by our Secretary that all the appropriate forms are filled in and sent when we renew our club membership (late September) every year - but I've still never seen an AUK. :hissyfit:

Let's hope that the GNAS database revamp improves matters... :raspberry
Well something is going wrong somewhere. The form to complete is coloured pink (!!) and is headed "The Grand National Archery Society Members Register - Update Form" and has the GNAS badge in the top righthand corner. The form is also dated "August 2005" in the bottom righthand corner. If you want send me your name and address and I will send one in for you.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Toby, try emailing the GNAS office and let them know the situation. They'll ask for your name, GNAS number and address. I did so a couple of months ago and they sorted it out. I even got sent the previous issue of AUK.

Fugue

The new proposal to have a single "club" colour lower garment (trousers) will probably sort out most peoples gripes on dress code. I for one will be trying to overturn a club committee lethargy and get some proper colours voted in at the next club AGM. (Last time I tried I was just told the club colours are white.:melodrama )

I have never seen the point of GNAS colours, I can understand some minimum standards on the design of clothes, but I feel there is a ridiculous amount of attention being spent on what archers are wearing, what for instance is wrong with 3/4 length shorts? I would never wear them myself but I have yet to hear a rational argument about why they should be banned.

The current GNAS colours are becoming impractical for many people, 15 or 20 years ago Bottle Green or whatever the correct colour was a very common colour available for most clothing. This simply isn't the case any more, dark green stopped being fashionable some time ago, and now all you are likely to find is olive or khakhi. White is also far rarer as Cricket whites are now cream, many other trousers are stone, when you add in suitability this is even harder, there are many wind resistant long sleeved tops which would be great for archery in Britain, but I have never seen one in white or dark green.

In my opinion the "so everyone looks smart" excuse which is pushed for keeping the green and whites has died, once a large proportion of archers start wearing club colours / squad colours the ranks of archer's in green and white is over.

All that said, I will be seen at many competitions this summer wearing whites / (fading) green trousers and whites, because all said and done I enjoy archery whatever colours I am wearing.

Rant over

Lowfat

Ironman
i note what everyone says about the colours you need to shoot in but being a "large Gentleman" none of these companys seem to do sizes for the larger size.

i entered competitions for the first time this indoor season and my wife dyed a pair of my combats dark green , i am comfortable in them so am comfortable enjoying the sport i love.

how i would feel if someone came up to me and said there were not the correct green etc i do not know but i hope i would stay calm and not tell them my thoughts !

if i was to wear white there is a chance i would look like the marshmellow man from ghostbusters so that is not going to happen.:cheerful:

yes i agree it looks nice everyone on the shooting line in colours but sense must prevaile or people will stay away from competitions because they fear what they wear will not be excepted ................... in my opinion:cheerful:

pHz

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
if i was to wear white there is a chance i would look like the marshmellow man from ghostbusters so that is not going to happen. :cheerful:
dont worry - i chose TOTALLY white (with a v-neck t-shirt) for my first competition (i have an irrational hatred of green) and became referred to by my clubmates as 'the psychiatric nurse' for the day

slainte :applause: rob

Piemaster

I'm a newbie to the sport, not been to a competition (as yet) so feel free to ignore my perspective of the dress code.
I have been lurking over the last few months on and off, seems like an emotive issue.
The link someone posted to a site as a source for white trousers, a 'bowls' site, I really don't want to have that 'old man with pipe' image that goes with it thanks, and I know my son would object highly to it. No offence intended to the old pipe smokers, BTW. Looking at some photos on club websites, take away the bows and give the archers a wood, and it looks like my local green.
From above I think you can guess competition entry for me will be in green. Of some shade, why the fuss over how green is green?

From GNAS website:
Rules of Shooting 2007

These Rules of Shooting are approved by the GNAS to give guidance to archers so they may practice their sport and engage in safe, fair competition with a spirit of friendly rivalry, all inkeeping with the GNAS motto of ?Union, Trueheart and Courtesie?. Archers, judges and others interpreting these rules are expected to do so sensibly and realistically
(my italics)

For me, the main factor in what I wear so far is the weather, and as I've been shooting outdoors over the winter it has mainly been, shock!, a hoodie and jeans. Warm enough and didn't get in the way of my shooting. Now we've moved indoors first choice is still a top that doesn't interfere with my shooting.
So practicality first for me please. If a major manufacturer produced a specific suitable clothing range at reasonable prices, as with lots of other sports, would shooting lines soon feature a lot of it? Is part of the problem that nothing like this exists?

Adam

You really worried about the three days of the year shorts are worn?.
Couldn't agree more. Who gives a ****. If the rules said pink lycra shorts I'd wear them - after all, I wouldn't be the only one, so does it really matter? No, methinks.

Adam

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Oh no... You just gave me an image of an entire shooting line in pink lycra shorts (not a thought I want to go to bed on...).

Chumpzilla

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Whenever this subject crops up (frequently) the main issue always seems to come back to availability. As we are now able to register club colours for lower garments this should improve, however I realise many people still wish to wear traditional green & white. Therefore would it not be worth trying to find a supplier (eg: archerytrousers.co.uk, or whoever ) and seeing if they would supply AIUK. :cheerful:

MINIMike

Therefore would it not be worth trying to find a supplier (eg: archerytrousers.co.uk, or whoever ) and seeing if they would supply AIUK. :cheerful:

Isn't this something the GNAS could do?

They're the ones laying down clothing stipulations. perhaps they ought to make suitable stuff available through their shop.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Isn't this something the GNAS could do?

They're the ones laying down clothing stipulations. perhaps they ought to make suitable stuff available through their shop.
The keyword there is "suitable". I certainly wouldn't trust a committee to be able to select gear which is suitable for me...
Besides which, the range of shapes and sizes you see on a shooting line would make a "one style fits all" policy ludicrous.

morphymick

The American
Supporter
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
It's not the Scottish archers you need to worry about...have you seen morphymick in HIS shorts???? :scared:
OY!!! There's nowt wrong wi' my shorts....................... my legs are a different matter altogether. :raspberry

Mick

Last edited: