What a difference a week makes !

Radar_UK

Fonz Awardee
Last Sunday saw the second outing of my Helix and possibly the worst shooting I have ever done and for no reason I could determine !

Short Metric, scored 334 with 12 (yes count 'em) misses - way way below my average score.....

Today same venue, same round, same setup, same weather.....

Short Metric, scored 466 with only 1 miss (plucked release) !!

Not only does that beat my PB by 22 points it now gives me a 2nd Class classification so that's 2 achievements for the day :)

Now if only I could work out what I did differently........

F

flamingbladerider

Sometimes when you change something significantly you do get a drop in performance before you get a rise. Push through and you should be ok. It'll come back.

Radar_UK

Fonz Awardee
geoffretired said:
Had you shot in the time between the two rounds?
No shooting in between - just couldn't hit a thing last week and a PB and 2nd class today !!

There must have been something I was doing differently last week but never got to the bottom of it - oh well just one of those things !!

tel

Fonz Awardee
Shot a PW York today - don't know why. All appeared 'normal', but went from borderline bowman to wondering if I was going to make first class!
What fun......

All I can hope is it was a one-off, as yours appears to have been, or I'm in deep trouble!

Flying Whale

tel said:
Shot a PW York today - don't know why. All appeared 'normal', but went from borderline bowman to wondering if I was going to make first class!
What fun......

All I can hope is it was a one-off, as yours appears to have been, or I'm in deep trouble!
Get someone you trust to watch you. They may just pick up on something that seems minor to you, but may be obvious to them.

SLOWHAND

Dont forget it dos take a bit of time and practice to get used to shooting a new piece of kit (at least a month). The Helix is the best I've ever shot and the grip is superb but is dos punish a bad shot, mainly I think to torquing the bow. Work on a consistant grip (ie. how you hold the bow) and things should get a lot better with practice.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Radar_uk.
No shooting in between and up goes the score! A great advert for not practising! (Only joking; but it does make you think doesn't it?)
I wish I could bottle whatever it was that brought the improvement.( did you mentally rehearse you technique in the time between)
Imagine the advert," Two spoons of this and double your score."
Seriously, the magic formula doesn't fit in a bottle.
How can you improve so much with no apparent effort?
I think the real answer may only come out if we know a little more about the situation.For example, was the low score unusually low for you? Was the high score unusually high?I know you said it was a PB by 22points but what range of score do you normally get over a two month period, for example.
Statistics aside, it is possible to improve without shooting. Sometimes scores go up because of the mental approach on the day,same goes for dropped scores.
Sometimes it follows a pattern;start badly, get tense, get worse. Sometimes the pattern is reversed.
I think it is worth taking something positive from this. Next time you have a down( if there is a next time.) remember how quickly things can change.);:cheerful:

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Good shooting Radar, by the way is "plucked release" rhyming slang? If so I had a few of them this week!!

Radar_UK

Fonz Awardee
Well the only thing I can think of is as Geoff said it could have been my mental approach.

Upto the bad score day I had been shooting pretty well and getting scores about 10-15 below my PB's and the first outing with the new riser generated a good score so I expected to carry on in like that.

When I started to score badly I suspect I concentrated too much on determining what I was doing wrong and caused even more issues which then spiralled into the bad total - I know towards the end of the round when I 'gave up' the scores did improve a little !

Funnily enough I did not dwell on the score from last week (partly thanks to a busy week at work !) and when I went to the range on Sunday had basically forgotten it and was just keen to get on shooting.

Straight off everything felt right and I was shooting well which resulted in the new PB - though I didn't know the final score until the round ended as I don't add up the ends as I go along but I felt I was scoring well.

Must have been a bad day coupled with a negative attitude when I started scoring badly - either way I don't plan to dwell on it much otherwise it may affect me at SoSo2 on Saturday :melodrama