Yamaha EX

djthompson

LOL, is a bit vague:

• what they are like to shoot?
  • how easy to set up/tune/enhance?
  • Specific yamaha querks (read they are all metric - and you can't buy much metric fitting kit?)?
  • things to look out for/watch out for (e.g. cracked limbs, strain to riser?)?
  • how would one stack up to a bow from today (or a bow of it's day e.g. a Hoyt GM)?
  • Are there any suppliers (globally) of old parts (now Yamaha is out of business)?
  • Any electronic/scanned/photocopies of user/service manuals (for things like limb alignment etc)
  • any real difference between the EX, EX Custom, and the EX Super Custom?

There isn't much on the net that I can find (pics/info/diagrams/review etc); so any info is a real bonus!

Cheers, Dave

Max

I shot an alpha EX as my first full weight bow and it was a very nice bow indeed, although due to the age of the limbs it did stack a bit. The main problem is the unique Yamaha limb fitting (not compatible with international limbs) and metric stabiliser bushing (M8 as opposed to 5/16") and also the metric plunger button thread. You can still get metric buttons if you really hunt around but they are a bit rare. The sight mounts are also metric (M4) as is the clicker mount (M3, or M3.5 I think).

The magnesium alloy that the riser is made from can begin to flake the paint a bit with age, usually as water gets onto chips in the paint, or hangs around under the sight mount (a particulary weak area). The grip is virtually identical in feel to the Hoyt Matrix, although a little flatter.

Limb adjusters need a square key to turn (a bit of 1/4" square steel bar works fine) and are also partially threaded for top and bottom weights. The bow had its own stabiliser system, which was quite nice - tapered aluminium alloy, with chrome steel stacking end weights, there was also an adjustable vee bar and side rods to match.

Given that the bows were in production around 1978 - 82 (I think) any surviving examples will be getting on a bit, especially the limbs - if you do think of buying one - check it out carefully and be espeically careful to see if anyone has tried converting out the metric threads to 5/16" - it rarely works and can make a real mess.

djthompson

Max,

Many thanks, that info is helful.

I've a 15 yr old yamaha guitar (which is beautiful), if their bows are half as good as that...

Odd the way Yamaha are about the only ones to make metric fittings; thought imperial went out during decimalisation!

Guess that's Hoyt's doing!

D

D

Deleted member 74

I shot a Yamaha ð-EX for about a year. It's a very nice bow to shoot. The points Max mentioned do need to be taken into consideration but metric stuff isn't really all that rare. Easton supplies metric fittings with their stabilizers/extenders, sight mount screws can be bought from a hardware store, same with clicker mounting screws, M8 buttons are available from Beiter, Shibuya and Arc Systeme. The limb fittings can be a bit of a problem because of their rarity but I actually found the Yamaha style to be far more reliable than ILF (then again, it wouldn't take much!)

WRT metric vs imperial, it's a bit of a BetaVision vs. VHS type argument. It would have been much wiser to change everything to metric while we had the chance but, with metric not being as popular in the USA, it just didn't happen. So we're stuck with UNC and UNF fittings for everything

Eolla

Yamaha made the best quality bows, yes, it will be to the same standard as your Yamaha guitar. There were 2 versions of EX, the EX and the Alpha EX. The latter has adjustable limb tiller. It is worth noting that the 2 versions look the same BUT have different limb systems, you cannot interchange between the 2 however EX takes YTSL limbs, and Alpha takes Eollla and Super Ceramic limbs.

Ok the EX is 20 years old and will still shoot very well but bows have come a long way. Today it is the equivalent of a Hoyt GM, ALso worth noting Yamaha measure draw length at 26" not 28" this effects the drawn weight

Max

ALso worth noting Yamaha measure draw length at 26" not 28" this effects the drawn weight
Ah! Thanks Eolla - I always wondered why my old Alpha EX 68" 38lb seemed to stack so much compared to other bows - according to the Yamaha system, I had 44lb on my fingers - You live and learn as they say! I rescued mine from eBay as my first budget bow after starting archery and boy was it a struggle - now I know why.

Cheers
Max

Bird_2112

The EX was out in the mid 80's to replace the YTSL II. I had a silver one...prior to my first GM..nice bow to shoot and would still recomend one to a beginner if they had seen one for sale. Still using a double sided Yamaha case that I bought second hand around 1984. It is getting a bit tatty now tho'.

cab

Yamaha EX Manual

Does anyone have any info on this bow (Yamaha EX Custom)? I realise it's a bit of an oldie!

Cheers, D
I have an original book, if you PM me I will scan them to pdf and forward to you within the next few days.
Cheers
Cab
:thumbsup:

Devon_Archer

My first bow was a Yamaha, and it was simply brilliant, was really old when I got it, and I have never shot another bow as well, but had to stop when I needed to drop several pounds draw

Such a shame they stopped making them, and I have promissed myself one of the new generation seb fluke copy handles, are they the same or just appear similar ?

murakoyli

Yamaha ex manual

I have an original book, if you PM me I will scan them to pdf and forward to you within the next few days.
Cheers
Cab
Hi I hope that you dont find me too forward but I have Just recived a Yamaha ex and as I am a new starter to this new archery world and I would love to get my hands on the manual for the bow. My email address is [email protected] if you could help me in any way.
Thanking you in anticipation
Peter

murakoyli

Hi I hope that you dont find me too forward but I have Just recived a Yamaha ex and as I am a new starter to this new archery world and I would love to get my hands on the manual for the bow. My email address is [email protected] if you could help me in any way.
Thanking you in anticipation
Peter

Yew Selfbow

I had the alpha EX with Super Ceramic Carbon limbs .... it's the only bow I've ever regretted selling ... good luck

pentrekeeper

Yamaha EX Manual

Cheers
Cab
Hey Cab have sent you a pm begging for a copy of the manual, I have an EX and some of the club members reckon I have a tiller issue, as I have absolutely no information on the bow I was rather hoping you would be kind enough to send me a copy.:beer::cake2:

murakoyli

HI
Thanks for your reply with regards my request for the Book of words for my bow. As I am new to this I hope that I am doing it right? Is this the method you ask for, for the reply?
My email address is [email protected] and thank you.
Peter.