A Curious Day

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
As documented elsewhere myself, LMP & Miner Willy were at De La Salle in Sheffield on Sunday for the Abbeydale Soup Shoot.

I have to say I had a somewhat difficult day, and my experience does not show some archers in a good light. As some of you know I shoot in red, being the BoA colours. Boy, did I stand out. Virtually a sea of GNAS green, with a couple of purples (not LMP!) elsewhere... But some of the looks I got from the locals made me feel like I'd just peed in their swimming pool.

Not a child, not a teenager, not anyone apparently under 30 in sight. The waiting line already covered in tents by 9.30 (sighters at 10.30). Had to start a second row. Again, suspicious looks.

Being 'c' I was down to score. Never has this been such a lonely occupation. My two co-shooters hardly spoke all day- only to recite their scores in a virtual Gregorian chant- and I was left to trail back to the shooting line on my own, following their rapidly retreating backs. Part way through one of them turned to me. At last! Conversation!

'Good job we're not shooting for us dinner.'

With that I'm viewing retreating backs again. Fortunately I had LMP & the Aire Valley lot to smile & wave at in the distance. The afternoon got worse- along with the vow of silence taken by the two monks I was shooting with I was treated to a shot-by-shot muttered resume of the performance of the archer next to me on the shooting line- 'that was ****' that was ******,
***ing ****, etc etc.

Not fun at all, & if it wasn't for LMP's company (& the fact that she was driving;)) I'd have gone home early. 'Friendly little tournament,' said the judge (who was the only friendly face I saw).
Hmmm....

Thunk

Ironman
Cakemeister said:
As documented elsewhere myself, LMP & Miner Willy were at De La Salle in Sheffield on Sunday for the Abbeydale Soup Shoot.

I have to say I had a somewhat difficult day, and my experience does not show some archers in a good light. As some of you know I shoot in red, being the BoA colours. Boy, did I stand out. Virtually a sea of GNAS green, with a couple of purples (not LMP!) elsewhere... But some of the looks I got from the locals made me feel like I'd just peed in their swimming pool.

Not a child, not a teenager, not anyone apparently under 30 in sight. The waiting line already covered in tents by 9.30 (sighters at 10.30). Had to start a second row. Again, suspicious looks.

Being 'c' I was down to score. Never has this been such a lonely occupation. My two co-shooters hardly spoke all day- only to recite their scores in a virtual Gregorian chant- and I was left to trail back to the shooting line on my own, following their rapidly retreating backs. Part way through one of them turned to me. At last! Conversation!

With that I'm viewing retreating backs again. Fortunately I had LMP & the Aire Valley lot to smile & wave at in the distance. The afternoon got worse- along with the vow of silence taken by the two monks I was shooting with I was treated to a shot-by-shot muttered resume of the performance of the archer next to me on the shooting line- 'that was ****' that was ******,
***ing ****, etc etc.

Not fun at all, & if it wasn't for LMP's company (& the fact that she was driving;)) I'd have gone home early. 'Friendly little tournament,' said the judge (who was the only friendly face I saw).
Hmmm....
In another thread you described it as the 'Abbeydale Non-Soup Shoot'. Why? What happened? Did somebody forget the tin opener?

Thunk

Ironman
Being serious for a moment (and for me that's hard!) one is forced to wonder why, if a club can be so unwelcoming to visitors as you describe, they put themselves through what is obviously torture to hold an open tournament in the first place.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Could have been better then???
Did you notice other targets; were they as miserable as yours, or was it the red that caused the upset?
I have come across a few archers who don't look happy at the shoots; but they have been few and far between thankfully. It is supposed to be something we enjoy after all.
On the odd occasion when there was a few miseries on my traget I have enjoyed myself in secret by beating their scores.Usually the miseries don't have much to be happy about and being poor shots adds to the misery so they are easily beaten. I'm not normally into beating other peoples' scores but when the circumstances warrant it then I think, serves them right! Still it's Easter time and I forgive them!!!?
p.s. I can't believe I said that!

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
It may just have been me; having said that, I didn't notice a lot of levity around.
Thunk- Prior to the day I referred to it as a 'non-soup shoot' as the soup has been replaced by a jacket potato; as I knew my comments today were going to be less than jocular I gave it its official title in this thread.

Hey ho! I bet Selby will be much more fun ;)

FlightyRachel

Fonz Awardee
Cakemeister said:

***ing ****, etc etc.

Hmmm....

I'm sorry you had such a rubbish day, but if it's any consolation, your description of said day made me laugh out loud. (Especially your Trappist companions).So at least one of us had a laugh... :cheerful: Thanks!

Rachel

R

rgsphoto

Ahh it's only one shoot. Try dayglow yellow next year, sod em! :raspberry You will have lots more fun in the next coming months, us lot will make sure of that:goodvibes have a :beer:

Cakemeister

Fonz Awardee
I'm sure I will! Mind you, I'm going to make sure whoever's on the scoring at the next tournament gets a bit of tlc!!

simon m

Ironman
Rolled up at the good friday clout shoot at berko bowmen to watch, they all looked like they were having a whale of a time smiles all round.......so its not allways the way you experienced!

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I have to agree with the cakemeister... it wasn't the friendliest of shoots I've been too but then I wasn't too chatty either!!! I think a lot of people were too pre-occupied with reasons as to why they couldn't shoot well....

1st outdoor comp

shooting at 50 & 60 yards

new bow, limbs, tab....etc

The weather was a bit cold and threatened to rain a couple of times but hey ho, we won on the raffle and shot all our arrows!! :beer:

You can only shoot as well as you are shooting on that day but give a thought to the person next to you....they may be thinking you are the boring / strange one!! :devil: