Black Douglas riser for Recurve

bojo

Have anyone on this forum or elsewhere been using ILF Black Douglas Mirage 25 riser for Recurve shooting, ie target or field shooting complete with stabilizer, clicker, plunger and a sight?
I currently have a W&W Inno and it is perfectly usable, but i'm looking for something a litte bit lighter, and besides, a lightweigth riser can be compensated by stabilizers.
And the Black Douglas look so damed good :yummy:

bojo

I got a quote from Borderbows and I'm very tempted. The remaining question is how the mechanical stiffness would stand against a metal riser. I pull about 40+ pounds.
That it might look way better than any other riser is a given.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I got a quote from Borderbows and I'm very tempted. The remaining question is how the mechanical stiffness would stand against a metal riser. I pull about 40+ pounds.
That it might look way better than any other riser is a given.
Plenty of folk out there shooting way higher poundage than 40# without any issue. I'm probably shooting just over 40# on my BD (36# limbs, 21" riser, 31" draw) and it shoots very nicely.

I have never seen a BD with all the bushings for stabs, sights etc - mine is completely nekkid.

JohnK

Firstly, the BD ILF is rock solid. I seem to remember Sid telling me they'd checked a riser for deflection with some very heavy limbs on it, and didn't see anything you wouldn't see on an alloy riser.

Secondly, they aren't all that light compared to some risers. It would be a good idea to check the mass weight of your Inno and get Sid to do the same with an equivalent BD ILF riser.

bojo

How do you find the grip? I really like W&W medium grips and especially the one on Inno.
The one remaining point is the quality of the grip and that is an extremely important point to me.

JohnK

How do you find the grip? I really like W&W medium grips and especially the one on Inno.
The one remaining point is the quality of the grip and that is an extremely important point to me.
I quite like it, but then I like the BD grip.

If you want them to make the grip to match your preferred shape, send them the grip and they'll do it :)

RMH

I shoot a ILF BD with 40lb Hex6BB2 set up to around 42lb and its a fantastic set up, solid as a rock, fast as a fast thing and beautiful to behold. When Border made the riser I asked if I could visit and try the grip as I found the one I tried a little bulky for my hand. I received a call, drove up there and spent time in the workshop as they removed a bit here and a bit there. The result is perfect for me. The guys are very helpful and I have found nothing to be too much trouble for them, before, during and after receiving my bow.
Go for it :poulies:

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Damn. You had to go and let me know that Border do Hoyt fitting wooden handles... I spent years looking at Mirages on the line and thinking " now if they were just a bit skinnier, and took normal limbs...". :scratchch

Up to now I had thought my next riser would be some relatively cheap carbon fibre job. Now...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Damn. You had to go and let me know that Border do Hoyt fitting wooden handles... I spent years looking at Mirages on the line and thinking " now if they were just a bit skinnier, and took normal limbs...". :scratchch

Up to now I had thought my next riser would be some relatively cheap carbon fibre job. Now...
And queue...
IMG_20150507_150931.jpg

Valkamai

I'm sure I saw a picture of a bd used for recurve in the border "show us your ilf target bow" thread. I have a feeling it was owned by timid toad.

Valkamai

Yes well, this one is mine... :)
I'll try and take some better photos.
Sorry rik only just realised how old the rest of the thread was....D'oh!!!

That is a beauty would love to see some more pics please. :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Sorry rik only just realised how old the rest of the thread was....D'oh!!!

That is a beauty would love to see some more pics please. :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
I dug the thread out on a whim, as it seemed a fitting place to update about my new toy :)

Valkamai

Rik
The full length photo is a touch blurry when I zoom in but the detail photo.......oh my goodness, that is a piece of work. If I owned it I don't know if I could bring myself to shoot it :p

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The full length one has suffered a bit from the auto-resizing on upload...
Here's a crop from the middle.
Studio_20150510_182905.jpg