Home made arrow tubes

tel

Fonz Awardee
Do you mean for the quiver or for storage? If its storage I did use home-made ones until the cheap document tubes starting appearing in Aldi. A length of two inch waste pipe with an inspection cap glued in either end works well.

C

Cimbian

Do you mean for the quiver or for storage? If its storage I did use home-made ones until the cheap document tubes starting appearing in Aldi. A length of two inch waste pipe with an inspection cap glued in either end works well.
Did the same thing for a Beiter long rod... worked a treat.

Skybone

A cheap arrow storage solution. We have an A0 plotter at work, and the paper we use comes on rolls. There were a few empty boxes that the rolls come in lying around waiting to be binned, with a number of empty cardboard tubes (no ends unfortunately).

The tubes easily hold around 4 wood arrows, and 6 alloy arrows. With 5 tubes in a box, that's storage for around 20 wood or 30 alloy arrows. The only thing is that I had to cut some of the box end flaps off, bind them together with some gaffa tape (about ?5 a roll from Maplins), and put them on the bottom of the box as reinforcement/pile cushion.

Could do with finding some end pieces for the tubes, so I can use them to transport arrows.

dusty

I have used 4 inch soil pie for storage. I placed the pipe on some MDF and drew round it then cut on the inside of the line and filed to fit to make the caps
You need big tubes when you make wooden arrows a dozen fit inside with no problem and no damage to fletchings

archeryal

I've been using plastic tennis cans at my summer camp (I'm told, this is a little like a holiday camp in England, but not exactly.). I cut the bottoms off some, then put about 4 slits up the side so they will fit over another can since one can is a little too short. I then duct tape them together. I put a number of these inside a plastic milk crate.
The tennis program had lots of cans they wanted to get rid of, so it worked out for me.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Fishing rod tubes. Buy 6' ones and an extra set of end caps. Cut in half. Survived flying to Oz and back, lightweight, cost about ?2.50 a tube.

Antrowe

I've just made one out of the postal tube my Plat plusses came in, Duct taped one end cap on and Duct taped the rest to waterproof it.
I've seen the 30"x3" ones on the bay at ?7 for four inc post.

bristolianish

I am new to the sport an pretty much having to do everything on the cheap. I acquired some really stout cardboard tubes from the local fabric shop for free - they are the sort found in the centre of rolls of cloth. Two pieces of foam from an old sponge. Two round red coffee jar lids fitted the tube ends exactly and one was glued into position as the base. The tube was painted matt black and some 1.5 inch red webbing (55pence) made a shoulder strap. It holds eight arrows easily, looks swish and cost me under a pound.

Electron

AIUK Saviour
I've made tubes from 2.5" PVC drain pipe. Used cut down pipe couplers for removable end cap and ply for fixed end cap. Pained with PVC pipe paint. Overall result looks reasonably professional.

Attachments

bolerus

I made 3 quivers , 1 out of an cardboard tube that i got from the local cinema ( posters come in them) for free, and 2 out of a tube that some arrow shaft came in bought some leather from a local fabric shop (?15 gave me enough for 3 quivers and one handle wraps for 3 pvc bows, and 2 tabs ( which i made by cutting out a tab shape twice and gluing together - tube was too thin) and I bought 3 leather belts from a charity shop for a fiver.

the leather had been treated to look like snakeskin, so they made the main body, and and put a strip around the top suede skin up around the top on 1. and a black fake leather strip around the top on the others.

worked really well, initially i made this for my daughter , along with a pvc bow and half a dozen arrows. ( all of which i have learnt how to make in the last couple of weeks)

I will get some pics up at soem point over the Christmas period

buzz lite beer

Very similar to a one I made a few years back:-
I have NEVER had so many compliments on a piece of kit as I have on Buzz's amazing tube insert. It's the dog's whatnots. I LOVE IT!!!! It was only the prototype, but it's the shizzle. Before any of you go out and copy this, BUZZ HAS THE COPYRIGHT ON THE DESIGN. I hope it makes him a very rich man indeed! If I didn't thank you at the time (I'm sure I did), thanks for this ingenius, fabulous, helpful piece of kit!!!
:cupcake::cake::pie::beer:

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have a system like the one Buzz has made. It is a very compact way of keeping arrows. I have mine with alternate arrows having fletchings at the top and bottom, so they take up even less room. Mine is very scruffy by comparison though.
Bare shafts go down the centre tube. I carry those for demonstration purposes only; at 90m.
No one has ever asked to use them so far!

Anglian Archer

Like some others in this thread I've been buying black plastic 6ft 2.5" tubes (sold online as rod tubes) and cutting them in half. Each tube comes with two red end-caps, so I buy plastic 2.5" blanking caps to seal off the open ends. I store six arrows in each, but you can fit in eight if you want, for example if you were taking them out to the range.